Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A case of forgotten identity

It was a busy Monday morning and I had to rush to catch the office bus. I am usually late; running to catch the office bus is one of my cheap thrills.

Many a times I miss my office bus, catch the speeding 600K Vayu Vajra coming right behind(http://www.bmtcinfo.com/), get down at the sight of the office bus and board it. I have my little challenges in life - getting to office is one of them.

So in the rush to get to office, I forgot my access card. And the story begins.
I try to enter the gate as usual and the security stops me...

"Saar, Id card illa" he says smilingly.

In my 6+ donkey years at work, I had never forgotten my access card. But this small little incident made me think.

It made me think that although I have put in 6 years*260 days/year*8 hours of work at this place, I am still an outsider. I still need a supporting infrastructure (the card) to prove my identity. Very few recognise me by face - talk about downside of working for an MNC. On the contrary, about 15 years ago, when my dad took us to his office, we were all given a warm welcome. There were hardly 100-120 people in the office, so everyone knew everyone.

I could, however, walk in to the office with a duplicate ID card...

And thankfully my lunch group had no problems recognizing me - a curly-haired, wheatish complexion, rotund figure. This is the picture they have of me, with/without the ID card.

So, there isn't much of an identity crisis - just a temporary loss of it. So, no sweat! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha nice one.

    I had a similar experience in office yesterday when I forgot my ID card at home. They did give me a temporary card (without my photo on it ofcourse). But the security was very suspicious.

    Later in the day, I was carrying my laptop to a conference room and this security guy stopped me.
    "Sir, laptop" he said.
    "Yes, this is laptop".
    Smilingly he said "Saar, temporary card and laptop"....
    "Am I not suppose to carry laptop if I have a temporary card"?
    Finally he asked me - "Saar is this your own laptop"?
    I told him "Yes" and he let me go :-) Oof... they ensure that you will not forget your card forever in your life again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very true. too much dependence on technology and security at most places is a farce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious,especially the first few lines! Guessyou can blog on ur challenge with boarding trains as well !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forget my ID card many times and never had problem getting the temporary one! It even happened once that I thought I did not get my ID card, and got the temporrary ID, but in fact I had got my ID thatday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going beyond the Access card and the laptops, there is a deeper message you get from these instances. Is that how much of importance we give to office/work/laptops/cells and ignore the ones who can actually recognize us without these...

    ReplyDelete