Friday, August 28, 2009

Fakexperiences

The setting is as follows: I am in a party or a social gathering, there are 5-8 people; some known, some relatively lesser known and some strangers.Everyone raises a toast... the party begins...

Couple of drinks later, people get cozy, comfortable, sit back, relax... strangers begin to look like friends and sometimes vice versa!

Generally I avoid crowds which are nasty so drunken revelry is a no-no for me.

The conversations begin.

People come up with their experiences, usually around the college/hostel days (these are probably the only times I miss hostel life), women in their lives, job/money-related etc.
People I would have known for a long time say something which I know isn't true at all and when I ask them when this happened, they either tell me that I wasn't around when this happened or some are audacious enough to say "I had told you about this, dont you remember?"

What surprises me the most is that under the influence of high-spirits people come up with the most fictitious experiences - straight from a novel they'd have recently read. All they have to do is replace the protagonist with themselves. Story is anyway built by the original author!

Stories such as "when I was driving in the US at 100mph, I managed to hoodwink the cop and not get a ticket". Others such as "that girl was trying to impress upon me but I never fell because I had more
important priorities", "I was offered at realy high-paying job - almost twice my current - but I didn't take it up because I didnt like the nature of work", are also quite common.

I am really not sure why they do this but for some it's more of a compusion to lie. Habituated drunk liars if you will!Perhaps they do it to grab attention or even impress upon someone...

So, I have decided that the next time I come across such agonising liars I will warn them that "Faking under the influence of alcohol" is a punishable offence. I will take the liberty to kick them on their bottom so that I get to the bottom of the real truth behind the apparently Fakexperience!

No comments:

Post a Comment